Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:39:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Terry R. Friedrichsen" <bsd@hackbox.bunker-ranch.org>
To:        bsd@bunker-ranch.com, gnome@FreeBSD.org, mezz@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/126630: ports build of devel/gio-fam-backend fails

mezz wrote:

> Learn to search in mailing list archive or/and google.

Thank you very much for your comments.  I searched the FreeBSD problem
reports and found no reference to this problem.  I am now enlightened
that I should search the mailing list for problem reports rather than
the FreeBSD PRs.  And the send-pr.html page doesn't warn me that I
should search the mailing list archives rather than the PRs before re-
porting a problem.

In anticipation that I'll win the same caustic comment for my PR on
cairo vs. pixman, the same explanation applies.

Earlier, I did in fact report a problem in FreeBSD-questions rather
than sending a PR, and got no responses.  So the mailing lists don't
appear to be an effective place to report problems, either.

And in any case, you *can't* search the mailing list archives.  As
this page says:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/

"The archive search index was last rebuilt at Thursday, 08 Feb 2007
06:16:51 UTC. Any postings after that will not be found by a search."

Quite useful, that.

Now I know that FreeBSD is a volunteer effort, so I never utter a
single word of complaint about anything associated with it; I am
happy that it exists and that it works (and is organized) as well
as it is.

But if you're going to insult me for not following unspecified (and
ultimately fruitless) procedures before sending a PR, *then* you're
going to get an earful from me about the problems involved in doing
so.

> Update your glib20.

Yes; as I pointed out in my PR, that's precisely the solution.  That
wasn't at all obvious at the time, given that glib20 was already in-
stalled, nor was it easy to discover that something called "gio" is
a part of glib20.

Learn to read the PR.

If the gio-fam-backend port depends on a particular version of glib20,
it should check for that and say something meaningful, like the cairo
port does for pixman.  So the PR is, in fact, reporting a real problem
that should be fixed.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

bsd@bunker-ranch.com