Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 11:20:37 -0700
From:      "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
To:        'David Banning' <david@banning.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: changing unix disk to slave - drive problem

--Boundary_(ID_da0SBxauBv3Lm+lqmyTSAg)

[snip]

> I'm not sure the significance of wd versus ad - the Stable 4.0
> version I upgraded from earlier versions used wd0 and wd1
> while the Stable 4.0 I just installed from cdrom uses ad0
> and ad1.

Sorry I can't help with the real problem but I can shed a little light on
the device naming.  I have seen posts on this board that say that the
devices changed from wd to ad between 3.4 and 4.0.  There is a reason for
this change but I don't remember what it is.  However, it's my understanding
that for everyday purposes, nothing has changed except the name.

Drew

--Boundary_(ID_da0SBxauBv3Lm+lqmyTSAg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: changing unix disk to slave - drive problem</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: David Banning [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:david@www3.pacific-pages.com">mailto:david@www3.pacific-p=
ages.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 4:10 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: questions@freebsd.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: changing unix disk to slave - drive =
problem</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>[snip]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I'm not sure the significance of wd versus ad - =
the Stable 4.0</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; version I upgraded from earlier versions used =
wd0 and wd1</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; while the Stable 4.0 I just installed from =
cdrom uses ad0 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; and ad1.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sorry I can't help with the real problem but I can =
shed a little light on the device naming.&nbsp; I have seen posts on =
this board that say that the devices changed from wd to ad between 3.4 =
and 4.0.&nbsp; There is a reason for this change but I don't remember =
what it is.&nbsp; However, it's my understanding that for everyday =
purposes, nothing has changed except the name.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Drew</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_da0SBxauBv3Lm+lqmyTSAg)--