Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:00:37 -0700
From:      Christopher Rosado <rbg@gayteenresource.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bertrand Habib <bib@infomaniak.ch>
Subject:   Re: microuptime went backwards ??

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:49:48 -0800
Bertrand Habib <bib@infomaniak.ch> wrote:

BH>  Dear all,
BH>
BH>  writing on ata disk, i get full screens of
BH>  "microuptime() went backwards ( nnn.nnnnnn -> mmm.mmmmm )"

Sounds like an AMD Athlon.

BH>  with mmm.mmmmm being less than nnn.nnnnn (i.e backwards )
BH>  Broken hardware ?
BH>  Wo may help me to interpret this message and, eventualy, correct that
BH>  issue ?

Disable power management in your BIOS.  Also, I recommend disabling it in
the kernel as well.  I had this exact same problem last year, and had to do
that.  I don't recall if it absolutely had to be disabled in the kernel or
if I did that just to be on the safe side, but do it just to be on the safe
side :)

Comment out "Device apm0" in your kernel config (here's the relevant bit
from my config)

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
# device                apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20
        # Advanced Power Management
        # Disable due to microuptime() issue last year

--
Christopher Rosado