Date:      Fri, 5 May 1995 11:14:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org, julian@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SLICES and bits in the device numbers

Peter Dufault writes:

[ stuff deleted ]
> Even if I remove the fixed SCSI device (BUS-ID-LUN embedded in
> major number) that can no longer work for disks, I still need a
> control device for the disk that bypasses all normal processing
> and only permits the ioctl (for formatting disks and fixing broken
> tapes).  It appears that for a disk drive, the only field that
> belongs to the driver is the UNIT field.

Couldn't we use the "bus" device for all lowlevel stuff like formatting,
tuning, tape fixing etc? What I mean is that we open /dev/scsi0 and
blast the scsi request straight in that way. It does mean some code
duplication between the different drivers and the "control" program,
but if we are running out of bits, it might be worth it.

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)
			fredriks@asiago.cs.wisc.edu