Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 96 22:05:20 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help! tex/latex ports problem

 > When it comes to tex/latex I'm afraid it comes to one
 > of FreeBSD's weak points. That's where Linux distributions
 > (especially german ~) really shine.

 > I had a horror afternoon today trying to get a tex/latex
 > installation fixed after the /usr/local backup to
 > a NFS mounted Ultrix volume overflowed and the volume
 > got trashed at the ultrix side with the same symptom
 > (fsck -b <this_time_I_saved_all_numbers> failed
 > always with superblock bad). Consequence: My backup
 > was gone, pkg_add had failed and had deleted parts
 > of my tex installation.

 > Trying to build via mount /usr/ports and /usr/ports/distfiles
 > from blues to mozart resulted always in failures
 > when tex/mf  wanted to find plain.mf - it prompted,
 > you know that ugly prompt when tex asks for different filename.

plain.mf is in the /usr/ports/distfiles/tex_base.tar.gz distfile. Can
you check if the file is correctly extracted? A common cause for tex
failure is a disk becoming full. YOu need a few megs of free space!

 > latex build always ended with an Error 2 , cannot find Makefile.

I would like to see the complete log of your installation. There is
only one makefile for latex: ports/print/latex/Makefile !!

 > tex built until this plain.mf point where I bailed out
 > and did not know whether the installation was successfull.
 > tex now always tells me it cannot find default format file.

This is normal, since the installation was not complete. Last time I
tried the port (~1 month ago) everything was correct.

 > Any tex experts out there who can help me?

 > Thanks.

 > --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr