Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:47:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        adam@cyberhall.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Users with no shells

Adam D. Morton writes:
 > I have perused many a FAQ without finding much on this topic--  What
 > is the best way to create an account with no interactive shell, but
 > with the ability to retrieve mail via POP?  I created an account with
 > the shell given as /nonexistent (the "no" option in adduser), and
 > that seems to work fine except that adduser complains about "illegal
 > shell" during the check process.  Are there any problems with doing
 > this this way?  Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Use /usr/bin/nologin as the users shell; it won't allow the user to
login.  (A well named program, idn't?)

For slightly better control, pick up my nologin replacement program.  It
also disallows logins to the account, but will log a message each time a
login attempt is made on a nologin account, so you can trace cracking
attempts.  See my web page, mentioned in the sig below, for more info.
A man page for my nologin program is available as well.