Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:52:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Small Disk Xterminal

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> I want the users at the X terminals to be logging in to the FreeBSD
> machine becuase I don't want to have several accounts for my users.  Will
> this require NIS? Or can the XDM some how handle this?

  You can just make all those terminal boxes run "X -query thatbigserver",
and users will log into xdm. All authentication will be done on server, so
bexes could be small. But better have fast network -- window manager will
start on the server. If users will use local xdms, you need to do
authentication locally through xdms running on those terminals, but
keep their home directories on remote box through NFS, so .Xauthority will
be available for programs running on server.

--
Alex