Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:06:21 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        "Adam Hefetz" <adam_hefetz@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi

They show up when you transfer an ASCII file from a MSFT OS to a *NIX OS
using binary mode.  They will stop showing up if you use ASCII mode to
transfer ASCII files.

As for how to remove them, there are many different ways...I prefer the vi
command line substitution that others have already posted.

- John