Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 01:13:49 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Listing manpages in Makefiles

Sometime during the recent bsd.port.mk changes, I suggested that
ports with a long list of manpages in their Makefile should list
them in an outside file instead.  The reason for this, of course,
is that some ports have a ridiculous number of lines listing nothing
but manpages (consider EZWGL with some 200 lines of nothing but
manpages).

Listing the manpages at the end of the Makefile instead of at the
beginning of the Makefile is not an option.

I said 1) ports should use ``.include "somefile"'' to include the manpage
          list.
       2) there should be a very-well-established guideline on the
          name of "somefile".
       3) there should be a guideline on how many lines are saved
          before using ``.include "somefile"'' is endorsed.

[Satoshi agreed with these three points].

       4) the ``.include "somefile"'' line should be placed in the
          same place as the MANx variables would normally appear in
          the Makefile.

I would like to propose that the filename used be "files/manpages".
For the guideline on how many lines must be saved, 6 or more.  This
guideline would be documented in porting.sgml, but not enforced.
The use of "files/manpages" could be enforced at random times.
Violators would be punished by slapping them silly.

Any other suggestions or objections, speak now!

Since my modifications to the EZWGL making it use MLINKS also use
these new guidelines, they will go into practice when the MLINKS
modifications are committed.  (Unless someone beats me to using these
guidelines :).

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.