Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:03:59 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats this??

Karl Pielorz wrote:

> This means they attached to your SMTP port, and quit before saying 'HELO' or
> telling it to do anything...
>
> > Apr 23 09:16:21 xenu sendmail[615]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot open
> > hash database /etc/mail/popauth.db: Inappropriate file type or format
>
> This might be worrying... It depends on your sendmail config, although if
> it's 'suddenly' appeared, it's your system - and you don't know what it is -
> then it might mean problems... Someone else may be able to shed more light
> on this one...
>
> If you find yourself open to sendmail abuse - have a look around
> www.sendmail.org - they have patches etc. for Sendmail which can stop your
> system from being used as a RELAY for other peoples mail (which is what it
> sounds like is happening to you!) - and for creating lists of known
> 'offenders' to blcok from Sendmail access etc.
>
> You should also check your running a recent version of sendmail, 8.8.6 is
> probably as old as I'd like to be running at the moment... ;-)

Thanks...   I currently have 8.8.8, with the anti relaying patches also
the RBL stuff, with POP Before Sendmail so my customers can relay, but
no one else...  I also maintain a list of annoying IP addresses that I
deny mail access to.

But, last night I have recieved over 700 of these connections, and was
concerned that there might be some form of attack going on, Since I
found the system loaded down with sendmail processes, with lots of open
connections.

I thought perhaps there might be some new hole that someone is using to
do a D.O.S. attack, or, a new way to get around my anti-spam, anti-relay
patches.

Blaine.