Date:      Sat, 6 May 1995 02:09:19 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, fn@trinity.radio-do.de
Cc:        archive@cps.cmich.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jim@reptiles.org
Subject:   Re: AST 4 port, pppd and FreeBSD 2.0--950412-SNAP

>    >> This is what I use in my kernel config
>    >> options "COM_MULTIPORT" #Multiport support in sys/isa/sio.c ...
>    >>
>    >> device sio5 at isa? port 0x1b8 tty irq 9 flags 0x501 vector siointr
>    >> device sio4 at isa? port 0x1b0 tty flags 0x501 vector siointr

>    Bruce> Specifying a vector without specifying an interrupt used
>    Bruce> not to make any sense.  However, now userconfig (booting
>    Bruce> with -c) allows you to change the irq and not the vector,
>    Bruce> it's safest to always specify an irq.

>This is from my old 1.1.5.1 kernel. When is added irq 9 to all ast
>ports the kernel build fine, but configured only sio5. sio[432] are
>discarded during attach through irq conflict with the master
>port. Without the vector, the old 1.1.5.1 kernel won't even build.

The 1.1.5 man pages gives an example without the vector.  I wrote that
part of the man page but may not have tested it much because I've never
even seen a 4port.

The irq must be different for each board.  Two 4 ports can share an
interrupt but sio doesn't support this.  You need an irq an a vector
for each board.  Specifying an irq for more than one port per board
would confuse the driver.  Specifying an irq without a vector causes
the vector to silently default to 0 and address 0 to be called if an
interrupt occurs! :-(  Specifying a vector without an irq did nothing
(before userconfig).  Specifying neither an irq nor a vector gives
polled mode in 2.0 (except for multiport boards the irq and vector
are inherited from the master port).  Polled mode only works up to
600 bps.

>I never changed my config file when I moved to 2.0, so I don't know if
>this would work now as expected. Obviously my card runs with all 4
>ports using the above configuration.

Please test that it works as documented under 2.0.

>I can configure my card in two ways:

>Port		DOS		Enhanced
>1		com1/irq4	0x1a0/irqx
>2		com2/irq3	0x1a8/irqx
>3		0x1b0/irqx	0x1b0/irqx
>4		0x1b8/irqx	0x1b8/irqx

>irqx means irq[2-7] as shared irq.

>So when I configure two cards in enhanced mode, I get 8 ports. I don"t
>what happens to port 3/4, if one add a third card in DOS compatible
>mode to get 10 ports, since that gives a conflict in the I/O space.

Yes, the conflict probably stops it from working.  There doesn't seem
to be a separate enable the 3rd and 4th ports.

Bruce