Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:52:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ns_req error from named

Snob Art Genre writes:
 > Lately my named has been emitting these:
 >
 > Apr  1 15:22:19 narcissus named[72]: ns_req: no address for root server
 >
 > Does anyone know what they are, how to stop them, and whether I should be
 > worried about them?  I am running FreeBSD 2.1.7.  I can provide more
 > detail on my named setup or whatever once you tell me what's relevant
 > information.

Sounds like you don't have the cache of root servers properly
configured.  It comes from the file ns_req.c; the comment immediately
before the message is:

		/*
                ** Don't go into an infinite loop if
                ** the admin gave root NS records in the cache
                ** file without giving address records
                ** for the root servers.
		*/