Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:06:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jan.Stocker@t-online.de
Subject:   Re: Allow users to write cds

Jan.Stocker@t-online.de (Jan Stocker) wrote:

> But if you do, everything (including all hds) are
> accessable?

Yes, it is.  The bad news: circumventing this would require writing a
low-level device driver for CD-R devices (so you could use regular
device permissions to maintain access rights).  We used to have one
(for very ancient CD-R drives, years ago when there wasn't an
established standard for those devices).  Unfortunately, the author of
cdrecord has the opinion that his way of doing things is the best one
on earth, so he certainly won't ever write us a device driver for
CD-Rs.  Thus it needs a person with good motivation and enough time to
do it.

And well, while cdrecord claims in its man page that it were safe to
run setuid root, people have seen it dumping core, too...  /I/
wouldn't trust it for setuid.  You have to decide for yourself.