Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:56:20 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        usb@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished

Hello,

I have a FreeBSD soekris box and I had a USB hub with 3 usb serial
devices attached.  It was working fine for about a year or so, but then
it started getting flakey.

I lose the com ports.  I'm wondering, maybe it's time to get a new
powered hub?  I've attached what I see in dmesg now:

ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ucom: Waiting for a TTY device to close.
ums0: at uhub2, port 2, addr 4 (disconnected)
ugen1.5: <Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus1 (disconnected)
uplcom1: at uhub2, port 3, addr 5 (disconnected)
ugen1.2: <NEC Corporation> at usbus1
uhub2: <NEC Corporation USB2.0 Hub Controller, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 2> on usbus1

ugen1.5: <Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus1 (disconnected)
uplcom1: at uhub2, port 3, addr 5 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
ugen1.2: <NEC Corporation> at usbus1
uhub2: <NEC Corporation USB2.0 Hub Controller, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 2> on usbus1
ugen1.3: <Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus1
uplcom0: <Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, class 0/0, rev
1.10/3.00, addr 3> on usbus1
ugen1.4: <Arduino LLC> at usbus1
uarduno0: <Arduino LLC Arduino Micro, class 2/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 4>
on usbus1
ums0: <Arduino LLC Arduino Micro, class 2/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 4> on
usbus1
ums0: 3 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=1
ugen1.5: <Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus1
uplcom1: <Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, class 0/0, rev
2.00/3.00, addr 5> on usbus1
ugen1.2: <NEC Corporation> at usbus1 (disconnected)
uhub2: at uhub1, port 1, addr 2 (disconnected)
ugen1.3: <Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus1 (disconnected)
uplcom0: at uhub2, port 1, addr 3 (disconnected)
ugen1.4: <Arduino LLC> at usbus1 (disconnected)
uarduno0: at uhub2, port 2, addr 4 (disconnected)

--
Alfred Perlstein