Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:28:49 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Bernd Rosauer <br@stiller.netland.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HylaFAX port: modem wedged?

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Bernd Rosauer wrote:

> I installed HylaFAX v4.0pl2 on FreeBSD-2.2.6-STABLE.  My computer
> is a IBM ThinkPad 560, and my PCCARD modem is a ELSA MicroLink
> 33.6MC which is Class-2.0-capable.
>
> I set ServerTracing to 0x3ffff and also SessionTracing, in order
> to obtain maximum information.  But in HylaFAX' log-dir no session
> trace shows up.

The session logs only activate once HylaFAX establishes a connection
with remote fax machine. However, I must admit that your syslog traces
is very sparse for the debug level you've set. How does your LogFacility:
setting compare to syslog.conf?

> The modem itselfs works fine with cu and slip.  (You received this
> email message, though.) I looked into the source code, especially
> into faxd, but I do not understand which specific condition causes
> the modem to appear "wedged".

The `wedged' status is when HylaFAX thinks that the modem is not
responding. If possible run faxgetty on the line, with appropriate
debug levels set, as the chatter between it and your modem will always
give you an indication of how healthy the HylaFAX config is.

Jonathan Chen