Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 18:19:14 EDT
From:      "Saraswathi Mukherjee" <essem36@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems- 2.2.7FBSD

Hi

I have recently installed
2.2.7 release on my machine which dual boots with Windows95.
However, I am facing some problems in almost every phase.

1. I have a 3com Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC
   (3C905B-TX) but while booting the O/S  the system complains
    that no driver is assigned. I have recompiled the kernel
    after adding the line: device xl0  and also configured the
    rc.conf file with the network options for ifconfig_xl0
    but still get the same message. It also complains that
    ifconfig: interface xl0 does not exist. What is wrong?
    Does this need driver files or
    FBSD 2.2.7 does not support xl0? I got this info. from
    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html.
2. When I went thro the installation according to the instructions
   for CD-ROM installation, when I came at the point of configuring
XFree86
   I got a box which said: Press ENTER to return to graphics
   mode. This may take a while. <OK>. I waited for a while. Nothing
   happened. so I pressed enter and it got back to the installation
   screens again. XFree86 was not configured. What is wrong. Should
   I have to wait too long? or anything wrong? Also how would I run
   sysinstall from /stand/sysinstall?
3. I have a HP Laserjet 4ML which I connected to the parallel
   printer
  port. I have added the device lpt0 in the /dev directory also
  the interrupt is configured in the kernel.Also I have configured
   lpd-enable to "YES" in rc.conf. When I checked lpr -Pmyprintername
   filename, where filename is one of the files I created, I just get empty
printer pages. The printer is not
  even responding to simple check. I also checked in su mode. Also I have
added the corresponding printer directory in lpd directory and
configured the printcap file. But still no use.
4. Also how can a newbie like me learn every detail about all
configuration files involved in the admin of the system? Is there
a site help available?

I would greatly appreciate any directions that the Unix pro's can offer.
I had to stop subscription to freebsd-questions due to the sheer
volume, and I appreciate any help directed to this e-mail address.
With Thanks,
Sara Mukherjee