Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 18:58:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
To:        Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS-master/slave w/ 2.1.7+2.2.2

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Robert Eckardt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> from searching the archives and asking on questions I got no clue.
>
> The problem is simply that I want to use a 2.2.2 box as a NIS slave server
> with a 2.1.7 box as a NIS master.
>
> However, when pushing from the master with
>   % yppush -d XYZ amd.home
>   yppush: Transfer request refused by ypserv
>
> On the slave side I get messages like:
>   ypserv[24772]: couldn't find master for map amd.home@XYZ
>   ypserv[24772]: host at ZYX (134.147.xxx.yyy) may be pulling my leg
>
> Needless to say, all clients (2.2.2 and 2.1.7) are ypbound to the NIS master.
> Also, I tried w/ and w/o securenets, no change.
> On the slave exists an empty directory /var/yp/XYZ.
>

> Any comments thankfully appreciated,
> Robert

Hello
	The only way I could get the first transfer was manually using
ypxfr.  Start rpc.ypxfrd, and then use ypxfr.  After that everything
worked normally with the slave updates.

Eric Chet -- ejchet@lucent.com || ejc@bazzle.com
Systems Analysts - Specializing in OOA, OOD and CORBA
Analysts International Corporation