Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/29704: Imagemagick Identify utility crashes when used on smbfs mounted share

The following reply was made to PR ports/29704; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Boris Popov <bp@freebsd.org>
To: Paul Trunley <paul@trunley.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, ppathiakis@homeportfolio.com
Subject: Re: ports/29704: Imagemagick Identify utility crashes when used on
 smbfs mounted share
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:42:48 +0700 (ALMST)

 On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Paul Trunley wrote:

 > I took your advice and tried this out and it seems to work well.  It
 > certainly solves the mmap issue.  I don't think that this changes the ability
 > for a file to be released upon close because the system will call inactive
 > immediately after the last close, so the effect is the same as doing the smb
 > close request in the close vop.
 >
 > I've attached a patch I put together that implements this change, I've done a
 > little testing and it seems to work ok, but nothing exhaustive.

 	The patch looks good. However, it may cause wrong time stamps on
 some servers which require a non-zero last access time value in the
 SMB_CLOSE request.

 > This patch is a minimal change, but it might be better to replace n_opencount
 > with a single bit in the n_flag member of the smbnode structure, since there
 > isn't really a need to remember the number of opens.  All that needs to be
 > remembered is if the file is currently open or not.

 	n_opencount is still useful for various diagnostics, so it
 probably will stay.

 	Thanks for helping on this issue!

 P.S. sorry for delay - swamped by my work :(
 --
 Boris Popov
 http://rbp.euro.ru