Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 18:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pete@dsw.com (Pete Kruckenberg)
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Byet April 95 no ref to screennd

> On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Julian Howard Stacey wrote:
>
> > In Byte Mag. April 95 P.96 Col 2 Para 2:
> > 	"A version of DECs screennd kernel screening software is avail.
> > 	for BSD386, NetBSD, & BSDI"
> > No mention of FreeBSD tho'
> > Author was 5051339@mcimail.com John Bryan
>
> Any mention of where to get it? If it's available for these, it should
> compile with little or no modification on FreeBSD.

Some one on the core team is working on this, and from other
mail on the hackers list here are the proper pointers:

To: Edward Wang <edward@edcom.com>
Cc: hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject: Re: DEC screend in core FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 00:11:36 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
Sender: hackers-owner@FreeBSD.org

The patches that need to be applied to ip_input.c are license-free.
The new files (ip_screen.*, gw_screen.*, screend/*) are all restricted
by a DEC license such that no third party redistribution is permitted.
(This is an improvement over the previous license, let me assure you --
and it's also the best I was able to get.)

I advise FreeBSD to do as BSD/OS does -- put the patches in, control
them with "#ifdef GWSCREEN" and "options GWSCREEN", and include in your
release notes something about <URL:ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/vixie/screend.tar.gz>,
which is the public screend's official home.