Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:28:58 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD FAMP on a mini-itx/embedded platform

Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca> writes:

> I'm looking to make a light FreeBSD-Apache-MySQL-PHP system out of a VIA EN
> 5000 system. It would replace my home file/web server which currently runs
> 24h/7d with a silent and energy-wise bundle.

I did something similar
( http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/photos/2006/05.May/Epia/thumbnails.html )
and I'm quite happy with it.

The one you are looking at it twice as fast and pulls about 40% less
peak power.  [It is *very* hard to get comparison numbers for power
consumed by machines at idle, but take it for granted that it will be
a fair amount less than peak.]

> I would also like to take advange of the C7 processor's Padlock feature (SSL
> encryption). I believe FreeBSD supports it?

Yes.  It may not be particularly speedy (at least, on my C3), but it
keeps up with (at least) multiple megabits of traffic per second.
Perhaps more important, it offloads the CPU to do other things at the
same time.

> I'm not looking for 3D performance or the such for this file server, but I
> would expect it to atleast keep up with the current server network-wise. Are
> my expectations unfounded?

I don't think so.  Obviously, it depends on how sophisticated your web
applications are, but in general, I would expect it to perform better
than *any* PC-class machine did four years ago.

> sidenote: This would be my 7th BSD machine in the house (and this is not
> counting my Vmware guests!) :)

I thought you were *replacing* an old machine with it?