Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Velcro Leaf <velcroleaf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: filesystems don't properly dismount

---559023410-1970454349-1364402590=:9389

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Velcro Leaf wrote:

> Somewhere between 9.0-RELEASE and 9.1-RELEASE, something changed that
> makes it so filesystems on two of my servers with similar hardware don't =
cleanly shut down during soft reboots.

> I only saw a couple
> examples of successful rebooting on 9.0 while transitioning from an
> earlier version to 9.1, but filesystems consistently complain during
> boot-up that they were not dismounted properly during every reboot in
> 9.1.
>
> Based on the release notes, it seems like it might have
> something to do with the new style of NFS.=A0 Is the old style still
> latent in 9.1?=A0 For example, can you recompile the kernel with differen=
> options to make the old style of NFS the default?=A0 Am I barking up the
> wrong tree?=A0 Any suggestions?

The default NFS implementation did not change between 9.0 and 9.1.
Per the 9.0 release notes, you can change your kernel configuration to=20
control which implementation is used -- NFSCL/NFSD are the "new" versions,=
=20
and NFSCLIENT/NFSSERVER are the old ones.  Are you running GENERIC or a=20
custom configuration?

-Ben Kaduk
---559023410-1970454349-1364402590=:9389--