Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:52:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kern/40003 - panic on boot in ata-disk.c

On 7 Aug 2002, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> I encountered this same problem after buying a new Maxtor ATA133 drive.
> The problem turned out to be a bad harddrive.  I returned it to CompUSA,
> got an identical one, and that worked without a hitch.  Not sure if it
> will be the same for you, but the symptoms are very similar.

I doubt it, this box has been running FreeBSD since 2.1.7.  It had a long
stint at 2.2.8.  No problems.  Then at 4.1 I started getting the resets
and "falling back to PIO mode" messages.  At 4.6 it just started
panic-ing.  If I back off to 4.4, no problems but the PIO message.  If I
boot a 2.2.8 floppy, no PIO warning.

The error is correct, the chipset does not do DMA.  PIO only.  Even though
it's set not to try dma in loader.conf it does.

From my limited knowledge of C it looks like some value is not getting
populated when the drive is probed, then eventually something references a
pointer to that empty value and ba-boom.

Charles