Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:15:35 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Wee Teck Ng <weeteck@eecs.umich.edu>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very slow scsi performance

>  Didn't the IBM DCAS or DORS drive have some firmware bugs in regards to
>tags?  Are you referrring to the newer IBM Ultrastar line?

The problems that have been reported against many IBM drives stem from
the fact that the DQUE bit is set on many OEM models.  The current SCSI
system does not look at the control mode page to see this, attempts to
perform tagged queuing operation anyway, and fails miserably.  The IBM
drives are behaving completely within the bounds of the SCSI spec.  CAM
handles this "problem" by honoring the DQUE bit assuming that the user
knows what they are doing.

>  In fact, I just found a message from a DCAS sent to a freebsd list
>today, that has to disable disconnection to get reliable operation with
>his 2940 and his DCAS drive.

It is probably the same problem I listed above.  Disabling disconnection
effectively prevents tags from being used.

>I can't verify that, but I have few problems
>with 11 Seagate drives hung off a 3940UW.  The ahc driver freezes up the
>system every 6 weeks of heavy 24x7 i/o though.

I'm working on finishing up this 7890 support so that I can release an
updated CAM snapshot.  Once that happens, you might want to try CAM
and see if it addresses this problem.

--
Justin