Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:10:43 -0600
From:      ghartline@cng.dl.nec.com
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup failed (for hosts on same ethernet)

>We recently added a connection to a second internet provider. They
assigned us a couple class Cs for our network. I've left the majority of
machines on IPs of our >first connection (207.218.152.0/24), however I've
added some new machines to the network which use the IPs of the second
connection (206.170.14.0/24). All of >these machines are on the same
ethernet connection.

>The problem: Several (but not all) of my FreeBSD systems report:

>arplookup 206.170.14.50 failed: host is not on local network
>arplookup 206.170.14.50 failed: host is not on local network
>arplookup 206.170.14.50 failed: host is not on local network

The problem arises when one of your 207 hosts attempts a connection to one
of your 206 addresses.   You've probably told your boxes to use their
ethernet interfaces for that IP address, but the stack traps the arp
request, since you're attempting an arp request for a host that's on a
different ip network.  There's probably some way around this using some
sort of arp proxy, but you really should go ahead and segment your
networks.  Put 2 nics in one of your BSD boxes to span the two segments and
turn ip forwarding on in the kernel.  Something like this:

Network
207.218.152.0 ------
                                  |ed0: 207.218.152.x
                                  | Some.BSD.Host