Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:44:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Lukman Salim <lukman.salim@usa.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-isp <FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using NAT for ISP customer

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Lukman Salim wrote:

> I will be starting a cable-modem based ISP in the near future. Because
> of the potential concurrent online user among the cable modem user would
> be a lot greater than traditional ISP, I'm thinking of using local IP
> with NAT for those who don't need real IP. Has anyone had any experience
> with such a scheme using FreeBSD's natd? I know that some apps would not
> run, but does the majority of Internet user use such software?

If you have the IPs, you really should run public IP, though some may
claim that using nat provides 'protection' or such, the same things can be
achieved with a firewall.

On the other hand, I run an office of 50+ clients through nat without a
problem or large load on a p75.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -