Date:      Wed, 7 May 2008 23:49:25 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Omer Faruk Sen <omerfsen@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: minpasswordlen and login.conf not working on 6 or 7 series

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 23:23:54 Omer Faruk Sen wrote:
> Actually I have read it but haven't read all the man pages because
> even in 7.0 manual page for login.conf still have:
>
>  minpasswordlen    number	 6	   The minimum length a local password may be.
>
> I think that line should be removed from manual page too.

It's confusing, but...
     The following capabilities are reserved for the purposes indicated and
     may be supported by third-party software.  They are not implemented in
     the base system.

So this basically means, that cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf will not throw an error
when it sees that capability and it will also set the default value, if
applicable. Programs can use getcap(3) to consult the value. For instance you
could write your own login program, or consult and enforce it through a
webpage, or implement it in a server program.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.