Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kevin <kevinw@charleston.quik.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Loopback...

I would like to start off by saying, I quit using Linux a long, long time
ago.. FreeBSD is a far superior environment. Period.  I do have a
question, and yes, FreeBSD is compared to Linux (just for example purposes
only, so please don't get mad.)  In Linux, I can type in>

% telnet ppp12345.aolsucks.com
 "ppp12345.aolsucks.com" being my current dynamic address.

<and that will let me telnet to my own machine without problem.

However, in FreeBSD, I have to type>

% telnet localhost

<for me to telnet to myself [just for testing purposes btw].
I was told that the only way a computer to talk to itself over the
internet, was through loopback.  Obviously, though, I could through Linux
without loopback compiled into the kernel.  How can I get the same results
(not having to type localhost, but my IP address instead) for FreeBSD?

*Any* help would be GREATLY appreciated,
--Please reply by direct e-mail! Thanks!

Kevin, BSD! BSD! BSD!