Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:00:07 -0400
From:      Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkg_version and no origin found == SEGFAULT

> It seems when pkg_version hits an installed port that has no origin
> found it segfaults.  I have found other people to verify that it
> segfaults for them too.  DWhite seems to think that it may be pointer
> corruption in libc, specifically snprintf, fopen, strlcpy or strncpy

Have you checked your /var/db/pkg/<port_name>/+CONTENTS files? For some
reason some ports on my relatively stale -CURRENT box had these files
truncated to zero length, and this caused some package tools (namely
pkg_version) to crash. The procedure to read plist simply returns with
all plist struct members set to zero without indicating any errors when
CONTENTS file is empty, and the pkg_version crashes trying to
defererence null 'origin' pointer.

--
Alexander Kabaev