Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2016 08:28:57 +0200
From:      Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <stdin@niklaas.eu>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need someone to review my pf.conf

--+JUInw4efm7IfTNU

Goran Tep=C5=A1i=C4=87 [2016-06-06 22:18 +0200] :

> Hi, I would like someone more skilled than me to glance over my pf.conf I
> compiled and possibly let me know if it can be secured/tightened further.
> Here's the conf: http://sprunge.us/fCLH

I'm not a professional, so take the following comments with a grain of
salt. Maybe they spur further discussions that will be helpful.

1. You can think about using security/sshguard-pf for further
   protection.

2. You can think about using anchors for rules related to your jails.
   This way you can add/remove rules when jails start/stop. See
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/anchors.html, especially "Manipulating
   Anchors".

3. It seems you have a mail server running. Take a look at mail/spamd.
   I had issues using the grey listing feature for senders that use
   multiple SMTP servers (Google, Amazon, etc.); so I decided to only
   use spamd for blocking only. Although there is some documentation in
   the FreeBSD handbook, you should read the man pages because the
   former doc seems old.

4. In general, it's not a good idea to pass out everything. Restrict it
   to what you really need. In case one of your jails gets hijacked it
   will be more difficult to use it for e.g., a botnet.

5. You disable IPv6, right?

6. It seems you rdr additional ports for SSH to your jails. I'm not sure
   whether that is really necessary (depends on you). You can simply
   administer the jails from your jail host with jexec(8).

    Niklaas

--+JUInw4efm7IfTNU

--+JUInw4efm7IfTNU--