Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:42:35 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   X refresh problems with 4.6

I'm having a problem since I upgraded my FreeBSD to 4.6 and my X to 4.2 and my
KDE to 3.  I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 with the ATI RAGE graphics card.

x doesn't refresh properly.

Most noticably, if I use xv *.*, then xv won't redraw the stuff it previously
drew.  For example, if I have a small image followed by a large image, and I
press the spacebar to go to the next image, then frequently I'll see the
first image in the upper-left corner and the new image on the rest of it,
because xv never re-draws the part that was previously drawn.  It yields a
sort of "Picture In Picture" effect.

Worse is if both images are the same size, in which case nothing happens to
the image at all when I hit the spacebar--only the title changes.

But an xrefresh (or just wiping a picture over it or anything of the sort)
will properly refresh it.

I started out posing the question to the XFree86 lists, but it doesn't seem to
be anything "obvious"; for example, even if I turn off all X optimizations,
it still happens.

So a correspondent there, Michel Dänzer, suggested that it could be a hardware
problem.  Well, I know that my hardware hasn't changed and I know what the
problem, which it would sometimes happen before, got much worse when I
upgraded, so I'm thinking perhaps it could be a kernel problem talking to my
hardware, so I'm posting here to see if any of y'all have any ideas.  Here's
what he had to suggest, which is frankly Greek to me:

:

> Also, I'm afraid that "PCI configuration" sounds dangerously close to
hardware
> to me, and I don't really even know what you mean by it.
>
> Would you care to elaborate?

I was thinking of something related to Write Combining or PCI latency...

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org