Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 23:31:09 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   new Linux for ISP

In the hopes that they will prove useful, I've run the ratios based on
some data we have here.  I'd imagine it will tend to reflect the
percentage distribution of ISPs, but ISP is losely defined to also
include universities...

In a random same of users of a certain product, here are the
breakdowns for the intel OSes, vs the total:
	Platform	%
	*BSDi		 3.3
	FreeBSD		 2.3
	Linux		 5.0
	SCO		 2.3
	*+SYSV		 0.8
	*Solaris	 1.3
	Other		85.0

* Intel based only.
+ Unixware

Which is what you'd expect knowing that many ISPs use SunOS, Solaris,
Digital Unix, AIIX, Ultrix, IRIX, or HPUX.  Those Oses should cover a
lot of ground....

So it looks like the Intel market has about a 15% market share of the
ISPs and that Linux and *BSD are running neck and neck at about 5% or
6% each, with SCO taking up a little less than 1/2 of the rest.

Warner