Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:22:59 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Thompson <mpthompson@home.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Encrypted IP tunneling solution

At 11:56 PM 10/8/2000, Mike Thompson wrote:

>BTW, my ultimate goal behind this little application is to get it working
>with Windows clients running SSH protocols where it can serve as a very
>simple, but secure VPN solution.

This would be the real value. It would be VERY useful to tunnel Windows
clients with minimal effort. It'd be even nicer if it were stand-alone;
that is, if it did not require a separate SSH implementation to be
installed on the Windows machine. Many of the users who one wants to tunnel
into a LAN remotely do not have shell accounts, and giving them such
accounts can compromise security and/or be confusing to them. Using SSH 2
(which doesn't require a shell account for port redirection) would be a
good way to do this.

--Brett Glass