Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:41:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Dedicated Router

On 1 Jun 1999, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:
>
> > I wouldn't suggest it for a core router, but for a small office router on
> > up it should be OK.
>
> Good summary of the performance issues.  In my own opinion, I don't
> think anything that does its forwarding in software is fast enough for
> the Internet core.  But then again, I work on stuff that *is* meant
> for the core.

Well, like anything, it all depends on your definition of core/load, but
FreeBSD using ET's T1 cards, and 4 portt ethernet cards from Znyx is
handling significantly higher than "small office router" loads, trivially,
with 3-4% CPU usage, including firewalling.

I'm only using P6-200's on supermicro MB's, but I see no reason to believe
that this won't scale to 12 T1's and 4-8 ethernet ports easily.

PCI bandwidth may be an issue, but that's all I can think of.

(Your other issues of compliancy are valid, but I suspect non-issues in
the current world, generally speaking).