Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 19:06:27 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>, Ramon A Hermon <rahermon@iastate.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mem Use

> >>Mem: 109M Active, 138M Inact, 38M Wired, 2752K Cache, 48M Buf, 87M Free
> >>Swap: 100M Total, 1224K Used, 99M Free, 1% Inuse
>
> My systems look very much like this also.  Do note that there is 87
> MB free and 1 MB that some time in the past got swapped out.

That's 87MB of totally unused memory, ie. wasted money. 8)

> Whatever was swapped out never comes back to say regardless of the
> available free space.

This is not correct; swap space is recovered when regions are unmapped
and when a process exits.

>  One of my systems started swapping for a short
> time about 6 months ago.  I show constant swapin of that process all
> the time through today even though there is over 50 MB of free space.
> It would appear that some tuning of the swapin algorithm would be
> helpful.

Unlikely; it's more that because the region swapped out is backed by swap
pages, it's considered cheaper to throw away than other regions might be.