Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 19:52:32 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 04:38:15AM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > Sending email with lynx is confusing the first time, more so when it
> > takes you by surprise. I think most people either don't read that
> > preamble or don't remember it, and who'd think of Ctrl-G. The only other
> > place I've encountered Ctrl-G is to beep the PC speaker in a DOS
> > batch file, when there's an editor that'll let you use that character.
>
> Actually, it's the beep character for cons25, too...  IOW, it'll
> beep the PC speaker in a FreeBSD sh file.  :)
>
> Although, of course, the correct way to beep from an sh file is
> to use `tput bl`.

Jeez, no matter what the subject, someone comes up with a command I've
never heard of :-)  OK, it works great but how come the man page doesn't
mention it?

> Ctrl-G is also the mildly-context-sensitive help character in
> Pine, although I don't see it listed anywhere...  Hmm...

I used pine for years and didn't know that!

> > > There's also a last-minute chance to abort when it asks something
> > > along the lines of "Send this message (y/n)?".
> >
> > Ah yes, I will go along with that one :-)
>
> Although, to be fair, I've filled-in the occasional empty message
> with Lynx, and, once getting that far, it is unbelievably
> tempting to hit "y" for no good reason at all.  The message you
> wrote disappears from the screen, and I think that does something
> odd to a person's psyche.  ;)

Actually, that's the only sensible explanation for why someone would
confirm a blank message :-) I must have done that too some time but I
don't want to remember whether I did or not.

Making something look obviously wrong isn't always the most effective way
to stop it happening. People tend to take the most familiar action, then
the one most like the previous, then the one that looks easiest, then get
upset and start making decisions as a last resort. Software tends to
expect that these priorities are reversed.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-