Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems

The following reply was made to PR ports/32321; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To: Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:58:39 -0500

 On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:56:52AM -0800, Joey Garcia wrote:
 > Okay, so then KDE doesn't really *need* CUPS then, right?  Would it be too
 > much of a a  hassle to make any *non-required* dependencies into a option.
 >
 > For instance, CUPS is added as a dependency if you do a "make
 > WITH_CUPS=YES" or something like that?  That would just be a quick
 > Makefile hack, wouldn't it?
 >
 > I would imagine that KDE installation would be easier if all non-required
 > dependencies could be optionalized throughout the whole KDE2 ports.  Yeah
 > -  that would make the Makefiles more complicated, but it can cut down on
 > unwanted dependencies.

 As I said in other emails (don't know if they were sent to
 FreeBSD-gnats-submit and thus ports), this only covers ports, not
 packages, which I suspect many people use in light of the fact
 that it takes a powerful machine to compile most of KDE in under
 6 hours.

 --
 wca