Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:55:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        swallace@ece.uci.edu (Steven Wallace)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, erich@uruk.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux and/or ELF executables

> > Erhm, I ve a SVR4 loader plus emulation stuff lying around, but it is
> > for use with our old iBCS2 emulator (the one before the NetBSD one
> > crept in)
> >

> As you know, the COFF loader is still your original loader, so
> you should still be able to use whatever code you have.  Please
> feel free to share it with the rest of the team.

The SVR4 functions etc that i have will most definitively NOT
fit into the NetBSD emulator....

The ELF loader might, but there is no point in that as long as we:

1. have no native support for ELF (there is work on this though)

2. have no SVR4 emulator.

> Oh, just for the record, the new code did not "creep" in, there
> was months and months of notice and talk about this, as Jordan
> can attest to.

This is bullshit, I saw some crude hacks to the NetBSD code, then
NOTHING happend for a couple of months, and then suddenly it was
committed. That pissed me off, and still does, as it totally screwed
the SVR4 work I had lying around...
What I was expecting back then when I said I didn't have the time
to do things quickly (could have done it in the months your hack
took though) was some sort of co-working, but that certainly did not
happen either.

Hrmpf !

On the other hand, John Polstra is about to have finished the GNU
tool suite for native elf, and I and Peter Wemm have both looked
at a generic ELF loader, so that might be done in the nearest
future. Adding SVR4 kernel support is pretty easy, but we will
have the problem (again) with install tools, utils etc etc...
(Those complaining to all of this should go write some of
those :) ask Terry for details ....)

Soren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..