Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:54:42 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
From:      Ulf Vedenbrant <uffe@swip.net>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [uffe@swip.net: Re: ports tree unstable now]

> > I.e the ".uk." is missing in the link.
> >
> > Is this by design?
>
> Sorry, yes. We don't know if ftp.uk.freebsd.org supports
> tar on the fly so all links points to the main ftp machine.
>
> A workaround would be to create the web pages on www.uk.freebsd.org
> from the SGML sources and modify the scripts so that the
> ports ftp links point to ftp.uk.freebsd.org.

Did i answer..;-)

The reason for why i found this was that the main ftp.freebsd.org
was either unreachable or overloaded.. ( or the link ) ( 1-2kbyte/sec )

And the .se. server's where i normally would go had some problems.

Then when i tried one of the other ( i believe it was the .uk. )
i got 20-30kbyte/sec which is as fast as it get's to my home.

But as i understand then all files are zipped/tared on the fly then
when requested. Doesn't this take a lot of cpu-power/disk-io extra?
And the main ftp site would benefit of spreading the load a little.

Regards

/Uffe