Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:24:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm not normally paranoid, but...

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Bob Bishop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been investigating trouble with a client's dial-on-demand PPP (FBSD
> 2.1.5, but I don't think it matters). Most of the time it works just fine.
> The specific problem is that sometimes the link fails to disconnect when it
> is (or should be) idle; timeout is set to 3 min. Tcpdump says:

I have seen this problem before here.  The problem here is that the
terminal servers occasionally send traffic to the connected machines (RIP
traffic, although it can be disabled on a per connection basis)... That
would serve to reset the idle time on the connection.

> There is no PTR for 207.68.137.75 and it doesn't ping. However, guess whose
> web site http://207.68.137.75 leads to :-{

I am not sure how this is related to the above, but 'httpd' is sending
your hostname(1) back to the connecting computer, that is how it would get
your 'real' hostname, even without a PTR record.

--
David Cross
ACS Consultant