Date:      02 Jun 1999 03:06:18 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Paul MacKenzie <pc.mackenzie@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best POP3 Server

Paul MacKenzie <pc.mackenzie@utoronto.ca> writes freebsd-questions:

> Can any tell me what the BEST (if there is one) POP3 server to use for
> Freebsd with large volume email going through the site..

The Cyrus IMAP daemon (/usr/ports/mail/cyrus) does POP3 service as
well and is designed for a large number of users. It is a "sealed"
server, i. e. there is no /var/mail/<user> mailbox, but rather access
via IMAP, POP3 and KPOP only. It takes some time to set up, but that
is worth it. It integrates well with sendmail and Postfix.

I found it quite impressive, but I don't know if it is the BEST POP3
server. Give it a try.

(I switched back to IMAP-UW because I need the standard mail boxes --
I found no good text-based IMAP client for FreeBSD.)

Greetings, Juergen