Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:05:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fullermd@futuresouth.com
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

> > Does this strike anyone else as a discipline issue rather than
> > a user read-access control issue?
>
> What's your point?  You're not going to get 70+ volunteer
> hackers to do a synchronized swimming act no matter how much

Isn't the Olympic synchronized swimming team all volunteer as well?
How do they get volunteers to do a synchronized swimming act?  8-) 8-).

Simon had the correct interpretation of my comments, by the way, so
you can turn down the steam.  8-).

> Yes, in an idealized world you could do all that and I'm sure that you
> will now cite personal experience at Novell where 10,000 developers
> all worked in close harmony despite not being paid a cent, purely
> through the administration of simple electric shocks, but I don't see
> any of that as particularly practical in our circumstances.

The shocks weren't that simple; I don't think they'd work in a
volunteer effort without everyone signing a waiver.  Novell's was part
of the employment contract: the page following the "involuntary organ
donation to ailing company executives" form -- luckily no one who
matched my tissue types needed organs during my tenure there.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.