Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 06:14:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        K_Berbach@gmx.de (Klaus Berbach), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: 4.2 fails to boot (kernel) from CD

> > I have problems with the 4.2 iso for Alpha and I can=B4t
> > boot from CD. After boot dka400 everything works fine
> > until:
> >=20
> > Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for
> > command promt.
> > Booting [kernel]...
> > /
> >=20
> > Well ... here it hangs. Version 4.1 has no problems and
> > the CD seems to be ok. Anyway, I have burned it with
> > two different programms and then got the image a second
> > time. No difference. I am running an Alpha Station500.=20
> > Anyone equal experience ?
>=20
> Umm.... Have you tried the boot floppies?

Klaus:

He is asking you to do a problem determination as to whether
this is actually a CDROM specific problem, or a problem with
4.2 on your system.

(Just in case it looked like he was telling you to use the
floppies instead of the CDROM for no good reason, which is
how it looked to me, the first time I read it).

So even if it's a pain, if you can try the floppies, it will
give him information on where to look for your problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.