Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:47:52 +0000
From:      "Þorður Ivarsson" <totii@est.is>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

Charles Mott wrote:

> > > We have virtual domains here and they have logical reason, but not
> > > someone using reseved (assigned) address is not ethical.
> >
> > Ethics have nothing to do with it.
> >

> Of course, anyone running a DNS which is authortitative for a particular
> domain can have address records pointing to wherever they want.  However,
> I think that the internet depends to some extent on people running DNS
> servers to act in a responsible manner.  I think ethics does have
> something to do with it.
>
> If Sanford Wallace decided to have www.cyberpromo.com point to a machine I
> own, I *would* be concerned.  And it wouldn't be ethical.
>
> Charles Mott

I thought, when I apply for ip address and domain name I needed to stick
with what I get and InterNIC/RIPE should keep correct and safe database
of those networks that are available.

I am not sure if the "central control" of domain names and networks are
then working any more like what we saw from previous.

If 1.0.0.0 is not in use why can 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 be used of someone?
Or at least someone register domain name on address that is not in
use/not allocated to him.

I had one network floating around for some time and because of
difficulties to connect to the internet it was designated to other
company. Later on I was connected, and got all kinds of problems because
of the others company use of the addresses, I was not informed that my
use of the network was canceled.

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!