Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:51:34 -0400
From:      sbahra@kerneled.org
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Survey on Video Capture API: BSD meteor(4) vs. Video for Linux 1/2

[...]

> MPlayer supports both kinds of API's. But to gain Linux ybinary
> compatibility for FreeBSD, V4L/V4L2 must be introduced to FreeBSD.

I think it is wiser to provide an in-kernel API which is far more =20
comprehensive. I suggest you take a look at the VideoBSD project that =20
jmg@ was working on. I was working on a V4L port at one time, the fact =20
is, with regards to the compatibility it is wiser just to provide V4L =20
functionality through user-space stubs or a thin compatibility layer. =20
V4L itself provides no real benefit to driver developers other than =20
the fact that they have standardized values for some ioctl requests =20
and the various data types that are exported.
Dianora (db@db) was working on some user-space stubs for V4L as well =20
iirc. From the user-space perspective it is obviously a benefit to =20
support though.

Regards.
--
Samy Al Bahra