Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:41:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        steven <stevensl@mindspring.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So we're stuck with using timidity now?

> Just curious.. what the status on the vm/oss "bug"?

there is a fix on OSS's website that you must use on FreeBSD-3.0 release

> I see posts here saying its fixed (from early dec98) others
> saying its still fubar'd. Posts on Usenet are contradictory
> also.
>
> I got OSS's latest version ossfreebsd391i-30x
> I'm using Current from Dec 27 1998 which has their patch
>
> running anything in X with OSS just kills the whole system,
> Quake, Fxtv, X11Amp, mpg123.. you name it

That's wierd I don't have that problem. I am running the same thing you
are, and I barely ever crash. (The last time I crashed was 3 weeks ago.)
The problem still isn't completely fixed, but according to Dev (one of the
main programmers of OSS) the problem is with FreeBSD's vm code. If I were
you I would check to make sure that the patch you applied worked. If it
did, you should be getting the same results that I get.

Kenneth Culver