Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 13:05:32 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        Steve Logue <slogue@acm.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:41:49 +0000, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:

>> How about one vote for every $250 donated?  A donor of $750 would have
>> three votes.  Design a ballot with suggested projects, and vote on
>> your favorite 10 in order of preference.  The top vote getters become
>> funded.

>Will not work. Developers (and other contributors) work on a particular
>facet of FreeBSD for (as far as I can tell) one of two reasons.
>
>  1. They want to.
>
>  2. They are employed specifically to do that.
>
>If a developer wants to work on (for example) 'syscons' and all the
>voters would rather they spent more time on 'networking', the developer
>can cheerfully ignore all the votes, and do what they want anyway.

Developers who want to choose their own projects can continue working
pro bono.  But developers who want to get paid for the work should be
willing to work under the donors direction.

That's the way it works in the real world.  I don't know why some of
you are having such a hard time with this idea.

--
Browser war over, Mozilla now free.