Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:06:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <daniel.sobral@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP mirrors

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> I wish to provide a new public ftp mirror on Brazil. I'd like to know...
>
> * What is the prefered method of synchronization?
> * Is there any special setup procedure for it?
> * What's the minimum/maximum/prefered frequency of update?
> * What are the different directories I may opt to provide, and how much
> space are they taking nowadays?

it depends on the resources you'd like to make available.

rsync is the preferred method, preferably in conjunction with CVsup for
source trees.

on average you'd want to sync at least daily

to be a Full Tier1 mirror, you need to have around 55G of disk space.

if you don't opt to be a full tier1, you should at least look at

o latest release trees
o packages
o distfiles
o source trees