Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 12:04:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
Cc:        lehey.pad@sni.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

> I'm sorry, my original statement about FreeBSD living entirely beyond the
> 1024th cylinder is not correct.  What happened is that I defragged my hard
> drive and then used FIPS to partition my hard drive beyond my original
> primary DOS partiton which had a size of > 500MB.  I then assumed from the
> discussion in 'Installing and Running FreeBSD' that I must have FreeBSD
> living beyond the 1024th cylinder.  The truth is I failed to look at my
> Disk Geometry.  My Windows '95 hardware summary says that I have the following
> geometry,
>
> 534 Cylinders
> 64  Heads
> 63  Sectors per track
> 512 Bytes per sector
>
> I am not quite sure I completely understand this since I have a 1.6GB hard
> drive and the numbers don't multiply correctly.

It does if 1.6GB is "unformatted capacity":

524*64*63*512 = 1,102,381,056 ... ~1G

Each cylinder is 2,064,384 ... ~2M

If the 63 is option base 0 (I suspest it is), the number goes up
to a total of 1,119,879,168.

> Unless of course Windows '95 is not couning the portion that is
> invisible due to FreeBSD.  This is probably the case and I would have
> to write back with the complete geometry.

It is not likely to be the case that it isn't counting the FreeBSD
portion.  In all likelihood, the numbers you got are the result
of an INT 13 AH=0x08, AL=0x80 (or replace 0x80 with the drive
letter of choice), and represent the true BIOS geometry, ignoring
all partitions.

I'd be interested to know what tool you used to get these numbers.

> My question is that although I have a working version of FreeBSD
> installed, I am currently unable to mount my DOS partition without
> risking the integrity of the FreeBSD slices.  When I attempt to
> mount, I get a message to the effect of
>
> mounted size not a multiple of root partition
>
> I am sorry I am unable to give you more detail, but I do not have
> access to my system at the moment to give you the precise message.
> I will follow this message with the correct staments.  I presume
> that the problem lies in the way I used FIPS to split my primary
> DOS partition.  To correct it, I guess I will have to reinstall
> FreeBSD using FIPS to create the extended DOS partion that has
> a geometry compatible with the primary partition.  What do you suggest?
> Should I create an extended DOS partition at the 'end' of the hard
> disk?  I would like to make it >= 500MB with a geometry compitible
> for mounting the large primary DOS partiton at the front of the disk.

The warning comes from the cluster size being larger than the necessary
cluster size to span the total number of sectors in the post-FIPS
DOS partition.

You have two options:

1)	Reinstall DOS/Windows95; when you do the format, the cluster
	size will be adjusted and the problem will go away.

2)	Wait for the new version of the DOS FS; it will avoid
	corrupting data in the odd cluster size case.

I *strongly* suggest you do the second.

There is *nothing* you can do to BSD (other than installing the new
DOS FS code in the kernel) that will cause the problem to "go away".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.