Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:28:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Leo Kliger <lkliger@astea.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: split dns and mail problem......

On Tuesday, 27 July 1999 at 23:44:29 -0400, Leo Kliger wrote:
> Greg
> thanks for your input...... but I am at a loss as to what is "so painful"
> for you about this issue???..... I have seen many other (may I dare say it?)
> stupid/uninformed/ignorant questions posted, and answered.....

I can't determine whether it's stupid or uninformed.  You obviously
didn't read the link I quoted: it's illegible.  Take a look:

>>> up until recently the setup of our corporate network used a FreeBSD
>>> firewall
>>> running smapd. Mail was handed in and out via this machine to our
> internal
>>> FreeBSD sendmail box. Incidently, these machines are the external and
>>> internal
>>> DNS machines respectively. I was able to mail the freebsd-questions
> group.
>>>
>>> we have changed things somewhat though and now our firewall is a Raptor
>>> box
>>> running its own smtpd between the inside and outside worlds. the internal
>>> mail
>>> is still the same FreeBSD sendmail though...... the issue is that I used
>>> to send
>>> and recieve mail between freebsd-questions now I only recieve
>>> freebsd-questions
>>> and can't send....
>>> I have read other mail regarding this and have racked my brains over the
>>> issue
>>> and cannot see why this is happening..... btw I don't have trouble
> sending
>>> mail
>>> anywhere else.......
>>>
>>> does anyone have any ideas about what may resolve my problem?
>>>
>>> I will attach a mail stuck in the sendmail spooler for your
> reference.....

This is presumably intended to look like this (and since I've gone to
the trouble of reformatting it, I can now read it and will reply).

>>> up until recently the setup of our corporate network used a
>>> FreeBSD firewall running smapd. Mail was handed in and out via
>>> this machine to our internal FreeBSD sendmail box. Incidently,
>>> these machines are the external and internal DNS machines
>>> respectively. I was able to mail the freebsd-questions group.
>>>
>>> we have changed things somewhat though and now our firewall is a
>>> Raptor box running its own smtpd between the inside and outside
>>> worlds. the internal mail is still the same FreeBSD sendmail
>>> though...... the issue is that I used to send and recieve mail
>>> between freebsd-questions now I only recieve freebsd-questions and
>>> can't send....  I have read other mail regarding this and have
>>> racked my brains over the issue and cannot see why this is
>>> happening..... btw I don't have trouble sending mail anywhere
>>> else.......

Hmm.  I've deleted the headers you attached, but one possibility is
that it's bouncing because you don't have a reverse mapping for your
mail server.  If that's not it, reformat the message and send it
again, and I'll take a look.

>>> does anyone have any ideas about what may resolve my problem?
>>>
>>> I will attach a mail stuck in the sendmail spooler for your
>>> reference.....

I see you're using a Microsoft mailer.  I've bounced your message to a
Microsoft box and looked at it there; it looks just as bad.

> I am quite insulted by your attitude!

I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention.  I thought that you didn't know
how bad your messages look.  I am quite insulted by mutilated mail
messages, though.

Greg