Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:38:38 +0100
From:      Andreas Braml <netzwerk@98eins.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs locking (was: Re: OOO 2.0 compiles but doesn't work properly)

--nextPart2968279.ChpLMn5Trf

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 16:49 schrieb Gerrit K=FChn:
> I've got a FreeBSD 6.0 NFS client here, which is connected to
> a FreeBSD 4.10-Server. Both sides are running statd and lockd,
> but processes requesting locks (kdm in the first place after
> booting here) get stuck in the state "lockd". The same setup
> works fine with a FreeBSD 5.4 client. Are there any known
> problems concerning nfs and 6.0, or do I miss anything else?

Here comes one of the dreaded "me too" posts. I'm having the same=20
problem, I guess: statd and lockd enabled on server and clients,=20
both 6.0-RELEASE (!). KDM starts, though, but login to KDE=20
fails, Gnome cannot start completely (panel does not show any=20
applets), OOo 2.0 freezes, when xkilled, rm -R .OpenOffice2 in=20
the user directory fails ("Directory not empty").
I know that users at my deployment had problems emtying the Trash=20
on the KDE desktop but this was right after the upgrade 5.4->6.0=20
some weeks ago. No severe problems since then, until yesterday=20
when none of the users was able to login anymore, Gnome broken=20
as well etc.

Disabling rpc.lockd in rc.conf on the client side made the=20
symptoms disappear, but i fear the real problem is still there.

Sorry that I can't give a better solution.

Andreas
=2D-=20
Andreas Braml
Netzwerk f=FCr radio 98eins
PGP: http://www.braml.org/radio.asc

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.